"The cathedral of modern commerce," as described Emile Zola in Au Bonheur des Dames, Le Bon Marché department store is located at 24 rue de Sevres in the 7th arrondissement, on the corner of the Rue de Babylone and Rue Tray.
Founded in 1838 by brothers Paul and Justin Videau, the first store retains its name, Au Bon Marché, until 1989. At the beginning, it is a simple haberdashery shop. It was not until 1852 with the arrival of Marguerite and Aristide Boucicaut, the shop turns into Department Store: huge assortment, prices fixed and low margins, prices indicated on labels principle of "money back". .. The modern store was born.